Bernhard von Sonnleithner, LL.M.
Lawyer | Counsel
Tel: +49 711 953 382 0
- Data Protection Law / Cybersecurity
- E-Commerce / Distance Selling
- IT law / software contract law
- Copyright / copyright contract law
- Designing innovative business models / startups
German, English, French
Areas of practice
Bernhard von Sonnleithner advises German and international companies on data protection law, digitisation and IT law.
His main areas of expertise include complex data protection issues, in particular at the interface to information technology and in connection with data-supported business models (in particular big data, machine learning and AI). In addition, he advises companies on the implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation, on corporate data protection and on the structuring of international data transfers.
Bernhard von Sonnleithner furthermore specialises in drafting and negotiating IT contracts (IT outsourcing, software licenses, SaaS, cloud computing, EULAs, hosting, data centres, software maintenance) as well as advising online platforms and on e-commerce.
Career and qualifications
- Since 2016
Director, Legal – EMEA privacy with Workday, Munich
- 2013 – 2016
Director and senior corporate counsel, EMEA privacy with Salesforce, Munich
- 2010 – 2013
Senior associate (attorney-at-law) with Noerr LLP in Munich
- 2008 – 2010
Associate (attorney-at-law) with Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP in Frankfurt
- Attorney-at-law since 2008
- Clerkship at the Court of Appeal in Berlin, as well as several months with Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP in New York
- Master's course at the University of Exeter/United Kingdom (Master of Laws, LL.M. with specialist subject: international business law)
- Studies of law at Saarland University (specialist subject: German and European trademark and information law)
- Stuttgart Bar Association
- German Bar Association (DAV)
- International Accociation of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Alumnus at e-fellows.net (study scholarship)